Season 4, Episode 31 (03.1.17)
[chef: Regi’ Drake]
Many restaurants have shrimp similar to this, but none quite capture our flavor!
• 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
• Oil for deep frying – vegetable, coconut or canola
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons water
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
• 1 teaspoon coarse salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 handful of mixed greens
• 1 green onion, snipped with kitchen shears (green part only)
Set up the dredging station for the breading:
• Put the cornstarch in a shallow bowl or plate.
• In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with the water.
• In a separate, wide, shallow bowl or plate, whisk together the flour, panko, salt, pepper and all the spices.
Bread the shrimp:
• Creating an assembly line, one at a time coat the shrimp with the cornstarch then dip in the egg allowing excess to drip off, then coat with the bread crumb mixture putting on with your hands if needed.
• Set them on a platter or cutting board and refrigerate 20 minutes.
(Tip – use one hand for dry ingredients, and the other for the wet ingredients)
Make the Sauce:
While the shrimp are refrigerating, you can make the sauce.
In a small bowl whisk the sauce ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
• Heat 1 – 2 inches of oil in a Dutch oven or in a big heavy-bottomed saucepan or deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
• Fry the shrimp in batches for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
• Drain on a wire rack or paper-towel lined plate.
When all of the shrimp are fried, set the greens on a platter, top with the shrimp and drizzle with the sauce or serve it on the side for dipping. Garnish with green onions.