Season 4, Episode 30 (02.22.17)
[chef: Fritzie Reeves]
Trust the Crust Luke…My cousin Nita from Clarksville, TN graciously shared this recipe with me over a year ago and I’ve since modified my pie crusts ever since.
Admittedly, the peach filling is traditional and yummy as you know it to be… but that crust… it’s a small adjustment but boy is it a noticeable improvement… Nothing like that southern hospitality…Thanks Nita!
• 3 cans of Peaches (drain juice)
• 3 cups Sugar
• 1 stick (1/2 cup) Butter or Margarine
• 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
• 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
• Place all of these ingredients in a pot.
• Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
• Turn heat to low for about 15 additional minutes.
• Prepare crust a day ahead of time if possible.
• 1 8oz box of Cream Cheese (softened)
• 2 sticks (1 cup) Margarine or Butter
• 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
• Mix cream cheese & butter together well. (use a spatula to scrape around the bowl)
• Add 1 cup flour, stir with a large spoon and mix well.
• Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour.
• Continue to mix with the spoon.
• Use the heel of your hand to knead the dough while still in the bowl. ( If the batter sticks to your hands add a smidgeon more flour until it no longer sticks and the dough is rollable).
• Divide the dough into 2 halves and place in the refrig to chill.
• Take half of the dough and roll out, cut in strips (optional), place on a baking sheet and brown lightly in a 350 degrees oven (optional).
• Place 1/2 of the peaches in a baking dish.
• Place the dough strips lengthwise & crosswise.
• Spoon the remaining peaches over the cooked dough.
• Roll the remaining dough out and place on top of peaches lenghthwise & crosswise.
• Lightly brush the dough with butter and sprinkle some sugar on top of the dough.
• Place in oven until brown on 350 degrees.