Season 4, Episode 27 (02.01.17)
[chef: Fritzie Reeves]
Pass the Peas Please…Better yet Pass the Peas N Grits
This wintertime dish is a favorite I make because I love peas, beans, soups and who doesn’t love grits.
Tried them together and man-o-man, they work.
You have a choice to use smoke turkey, smoke pork, links , etc…its up to you. I even finish mine off after the peas (beans) are completely cooked and add cooked shrimp. Sooo, to this I say “Pass the Peas Please…Better yet Pass the Peas N Grits.”
• 5 cups water
• 3 cups mix of of frozen crowder, speckled butter or legume of choice
• 2 lbs Smoked meat, pork or turkey (may add smoked link sausages and shrimp 10 mins prior to beans have finished cooking if desired)
• 1 medium or large carrot, diced
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• 1 tbs cumin
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1 tsp Budders All-Purpose Seasoning
• 1.5 cups of Grits or Polenta
• Freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
• Add frozen peas (may even use soaked dry beans or canned)
• Add the remaining ingredients and boil for 1 1/2 hours or until broth is thick. Taste to adjust seasonings
• Add peas to the heavy pot with boiling smoked meat. If beans are not covered by 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water, add more water as necessary.
• Continue to simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender throughout and broth is rich n thick
• Add cooked shrimp (optional)
• Taste bean broth; it should taste rich, delicious, a little spicy. Add salt as necessary. Keep warm
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, add more if needed
• 3/4 cup yellow or white corn grits
• Cover, remove from heat, and let sit until all of the moisture has been absorbed, at least 10 minutes.