Season 3, Episode 16 (06.15.16)
[chef: Laura Ray]
When I was a kid, my aunts used to bring home Baked Alaska from this great bakery in the city, and I dreamt about it! When the bakery closed, there was no longer a place to get this, so I am going to make it myself!
• 1 Pound Cake or Angel Food Cake
• ½ Gallon of your favorite Chocolate Ice Cream
• ½ Gallon of your favorite Strawberry Ice Cream
• Sliced Strawberries
• 9 Egg Whites
• 1 Tbsp. Cream of Tartar
• 1 Cup of Sugar
• ½ Tbsp.Vanilla
• Pinch of Salt
• Hot Fudge / Caramel Sauce
• Maraschino Cherries to Garnish
• Lightly butter pie dish, and lay small slices of Pound Cake to cover the bottom of the pan.
• Spread the slightly melted Chocolate Ice Cream over the cake.
• Lay small slices of Pound Cake to cover the Chocolate Ice Cream.
• Spread the slightly melted Strawberry Ice Cream over the cake.
• Place sliced strawberries on top of the Strawberry Ice Cream.
• Quickly stick the ice cream pie in the freezer and let set for 2 to 3 hours.
• Once completely frozen; Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
• Beat 9 Egg Whites until it peaks. Slowly add sugar, vanilla, and cream of tartar.
• Beat until the meringue peaks again.
• Take out the ice cream pie out of the free and place on cookie sheet. Quickly cover the entire pie with the meringue and make the peaks as high as possible. Place in preheated oven until all of the peaks are golden brown.
• Put the pie back into the freezer for an hour.
• Drizzle Caramel Sauce, Hot Fudge over the top of the pie. Top with Maraschino Cherries and serve.