Season 2, Episode 8 (03.03.16)
[chef: Regí Drake]
Tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil drizzled with a sweet balsamic reduction and olive oil. Easy, impressive and delicious! Most grocery stores now sell prepared balsamic reductions. Surprisingly it’s just as good!
This is a simple and absolutely delicious summer salad that is sure to please your friends and family. As a matter of fact….I tend to make it all year long if the ingredients are super good. This salad goes great with grilled meats, chicken and seafood and is a staple in Italian cuisine. Enjoy!!!
• 1 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup honey
• 4 large tomatoes, cut into 1/4-1/2-inch slices
• 1 (16 ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or Italian vinaigrette
- Stir balsamic vinegar and honey together in a small saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the vinegar mixture has reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Set the balsamic reduction aside to cool.
- Arrange alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella cheese decoratively on a serving platter. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper, spread fresh basil leaves over the salad, and drizzle with olive oil/vinaigrette and the balsamic reduction.