Season 2, Episode 6 (02.10.16)
[chef: Regí Drake]
This soup is one of my favorites because it takes a slightly different direction from the Navy Beans and Ham I loved to eat from my Mom’s kitchen.
The combination of Cannellini beans, fresh herbs and kale really brings the taste of Europe to the forefront. I especially like dipping crusty bread into the soup and just savoring every bite! Comfort food at its best….you just can’t beat it on a cold winter’s day.
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 1/2 cups diced ham
• 1 cup chopped white onion
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• salt & freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon dried sage
• 1 teaspoon of oregano
•1 teaspoon of thyme
• 4 cups reduced-sodium or homemade chicken broth
• 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained (Great Northern or cannellini)
• 1 bunch fresh kale, rinsed well and chopped (about 4 cups chopped)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ham, onion and garlic and cook 3 minutes, until onion is tender.
- Add sage and cook 1 minute, until sage is fragrant.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Add kale and cook 1 minute, until kale wilts.
Season to taste with salt and pepper