Season 2, Episode 3 (01.20.16)
[chef: Regí Drake]
This is a recipe I picked up from culinary school when we were preparing for a big company’s gala. This simple hors d’oeuvre was a big hit that night and I have been making it ever since for family, friends and customers alike.
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces)
- ½ cup of butter
- 1-1/2 pounds shaved deli roast beef
- 3 tablespooons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- 1 teaspoon of Thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Sage
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup dried cherrie
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- Additional minced chives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut baguette into 36 slices.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Brush baguettes with butter. Sprinkle with herbs.
- Bake 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned.
In a small bowl, combine 2 cups roughly diced tomatoes and 1-1/2 cup dried cherries, red wine vinegar, herbs, salt/pepper, garlic and sugar. Cook mixture down to desired consistency. Set in refrigerator to cool.
- Blue Cheese Spread
In a small bowl, combine sour cream, chives, horseradish, blue cheese, salt and pepper.
Spread sour cream spread on crostini, Arrange 1 or 2 slices thin slices of beef on each crostini, top with a dollop of the tomato/cherry preserve and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and chives. Transfer to a platter and serve at room temperature.